Wednesday, September 17, 2014

india - the indian regime is genocidal against adivasi people

A ‘Maoist’ encounter: The (un)accidental death of an adivasi
Death to the directly affected is not a minor incident but in the larger political arena it becomes an insignificant event relegated to the yearly statistics released by the Ministry of Home Affairs. The number of security personnel killed, the number of Maoists killed and the number of civilians killed: the ordinariness of it all, the banality of outrage, and yet the question of the structural violence that leads to this is never weighed by the numbers or the cost of life.
At 3:30am on the 3rd of September, 2014, six villagers from Marowai in Narma Panchayat of Gumla district of Jharkhand, were just starting to leave their village for Hindalco’s Bauxite mine at Gurderi in a Tata L-Series truck. All of them are farmers who supplement their income by loading and carrying bauxite to the railway station of Tori. They get paid Rs 600 amongst themselves, and on this particular morning, they left early to beat the rush at the mine and stay ahead in the queue. Matmaiya Oraon tilts a bucket full of clothes covered in blood. Her son had manage to escape the barrage of bullets and returned home covered in the blood of his co-villagers and passengers.
The CRPF and the local police had meanwhile been informed that the Maoists were going to cross the village and had positioned themselves in the dark foliage, the fields, and the abandoned panchayat building, mere 200 metres away from the village. As a classical case of an occupying army that doesn’t know how to be the security of the populace: its intelligence was more concerned with killing Maoists than paying attention to how the civilian population behaves.
Why were they not aware that civilians take their trucks early in the morning to Gurderi to collect bauxite ore and take it to the railway station at Tori Junction? Thus, within the next 15 minutes, two of them would be shot dead, another two left with serious bullet injuries, and two would run back to their homes covered in blood. The entire village of Marowai awoke to the thunder of gunfire, as panic and rumour spread, ‘mela jaise ho gaya tha’ said one witness, the aunt of one of the killed. The CRPF didn’t allow any of the villagers near the truck, the injured lay there for the next 3 hours before their injuries were tended to, and they were airlifted to Ranchi’s Apollo hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment